Lochearn Camp Highlights
- Lochearn has always earned professional certification by the American Camping Association (ACA). In 2009, Lochearn was awarded a perfect score of 100% compliance in over 300 standards. Lochearn is reaccredited every three years.
- Lochearn’s directors, Rich and Ginny Maxson, have run Lochearn for 29 years. They are educators with advanced degrees in law, education, counseling, and children’s social and moral development. (Rich – JD, M.Ed, MA, Ed.D from Dartmouth and Harvard; Ginny – M.Ed, MA from Dartmouth.) Within a traditional summer of fun, friendship and activities, they have developed a well conceived and fully integrated program of character education aimed to strengthen the emerging identities of Lochearn’s campers and enhance children’s positive moral, social and character formation. Lochearn is renowned as a community which is committed to promoting positive core values such as kindness, respect, responsibility, integrity, compassion and generosity of spirit. This emphasis on helping each girl achieve her individual best sets Lochearn apart from other camps and youth programs and is of significant appeal to families.
- Lochearn, for many families, serves as an integral part of their daughter’s development and education. Lochearn’s campers attend for many summers and many have had mothers, aunts, grandmothers, sisters and cousins who were campers at Lochearn. Every year, Lochearn warmly welcomes a steady flow of new campers.
- Lochearn offers over 45 activities in these main areas: performing arts, studio arts, land sports, water sports, fitness, English riding, leadership training, community service, and outdoor adventure. This wide array of offerings is extensive and diverse allowing each girl to try new activities and discover and enhance her passions. Each Lochearn girl designs her own schedule which assures for maximum satisfaction.
- Lochearn’s staff and campers have come from many states within the U.S. and from over 40 countries. The staff to camper ratio is 1:4.
- Lochearn is a teaching camp, offering our 80 staff members training in teaching, coaching and counseling. All of Lochearn’s 45 activities have specific lesson plans which assure for a well conceived and creative approach to teaching. These carefully crafted lesson plans offer progressive skill development. Beginner, intermediate, and advanced level classes enable girls to return year after year and continue to build on their skills, confidence, and self-esteem.
- Lochearn, due to its reputation as a unique educational program, has been approved by colleges and universities across the United States to offer our staff supervised internships for college credit.
- Lochearn promotes opportunities for our girls to offer community service within the Lochearn community as well as to local communities. Projects have included singing and reading to elderly clients of local nursing or retirement homes, Lake Fairlee restoration projects, trail maintenance, writing letters to soldiers, harvesting produce at local farms for a food bank, and other volunteer services to local organizations.
- Lochearn has developed a comprehensive conservation program which promotes recycling and composting which serves to heighten our community’s commitment toward stewardship of our environment.
- Lochearn’s staff members are qualified, carefully selected, and receive extensive pre-camp and on-the-job training. They join Lochearn to be a significant part of each girl’s development, giving purpose, fun and focus to each day; counselors and instructors serve as strong, positive role models for girls. All Lochearn staff, campers and families are committed to our Code of Conduct which promotes kindness, honesty and integrity.
- Lochearn’s reputation as a respected organization committed to character education, accompanied by an extensive array of activities, distinguishes Lochearn from other summer camps, yet Lochearn’s tuition is comparable or less than many other high quality summer programs.
- Lochearn employs nine permanent year-round maintenance and administrative staff members who have served Lochearn for many years. Maintenance staff members constantly care for 64 buildings and their systems, 2/3 mile of lake frontage, as well as Lochearn’s playing fields, gardens, trails and extensive riding facilities. Directors, Rich and Ginny Maxson, and administrative staff attend to every aspect of Lochearn’s activities and services. Throughout the year, Lochearn’s administrative staff and directors provide comprehensive and personalized services to our families. Maintenance personnel assure that Lochearn’s facilities and grounds are safe, well maintained, and beautiful.
- Lochearn provides a safe, protective setting on Lake Fairlee with a ½ mile gated entrance into camp and rustic elegance within a setting of unsurpassed natural beauty.
On Lake Fairlee, Post Mills, Vermont